Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The News

After hearing about the shootings that occurred at VA Tech, I felt so sad. Honestly, I was not all that shocked because after Columbine, this type of violence is not unexpected. But I hate what the media is already doing. They are already spinning the fact that the shooter, Cho Seung Hui, emigrated to the US. They are trying to show that he was an outsider. They write about how Koreans are ashamed they are from Korea because of what happened.

I am not ashamed that my family is from South Korea. He has no bearing or consequence of who I am or what I do. I feel sad for all the families that lost someone during this horrific experience, but I am not to blame because of what he did. Don't try to make me feel bad for who I am.
When the shootings at Columbine occurred, did the media write about white people feeling ashamed that white kids turned and shot their own peers?

I know the media is trying to sensationalize the story, but it's always at a cost of alienating a group of people. WW II, Iraq, 9/11, and these shootings at VA Tech are no different.

I was at dinner and heard a story of how a guy's friend working at an all Chinese company heard a guy (obviously white) exclaim, "Don't shoot me." when he realized he was surrounded by Asians.
You know you can only hope for change until reality hits you square in between your eyes and tells you to wake up.

3 comments:

Andrew Yap said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrew Yap said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrew Yap said...

More blogging! I'm just glad the story is dying down now. I've seen that kid's picture too many times.

That's my comment.

P.S. it's great that you're Korean.