Saturday, June 2, 2007

Like Straight Out of a Movie or Something

From May 18-20, I went semi-backpacking with some friends at Point Reyes. We ended up getting to Point Reyes sometime around 11pm. We ended up hiking in using head lamps and trying to find our way through a narrow sandy path.

We got to the campsite around midnight and proceeded to set up our tents and ate some freeze-dried food. NEVER EVER get the Pad Thai. Blech.

The time spent at Point Reyes was a windy one. A few of us went on a hike and detoured to Sculptured Beach. That was a lot of fun. We had to time ourselves to get around each rock before the waves came crashing in. So when the waves pulled back, we ran for it. We climbed some rocks and took in the beautiful view from the beach. There was this cavernous rock, on one side was the water and the other side was the beach, we ended up trying to time how long and how far we could stay in the cave. (most of us eventually had soggy shoes and socks)

After the hike, my allergies inflamed and I took a nap as the wind blew full force through out the land. I could hear cups being knocked over and the tent flapping like crazy.

At night we ate steak with vegetables and seasoned rice. Thank you Roger. Yum.

The next day we packed up our stuff after breakfast and hiked back to the car. I was wearing too many layers and decided that I should take some off. I handed my stuff off to Yap and he stuffed it in my bag and shut the trunk door.

Roger came over and calmly told us the keys were in the trunk. I told him not to worry since the doors weren't shut, but apparently he locked the trunk release and the back seats so there was no access to the trunk.

Luckily, his roommate followed behind us and had a car. Unfortunately, he only had enough room for two people. So Yap and I were left behind at 2pm. They left us at the visitor's center so that at least we would be surrounded by people.

We looked at the small exhibit in the Visitor's Center and read about the different animals found in Point Reyes. We watched a short documentary from the Discovery Channel on Point Reyes.

After that, we walked on two short trails, one was the Earthquake Trail and the other was Kule Loklo Trail.

This kept us occupied until 5pm. We sat on different benches ( we almost sat on every bench in the Visitor's Center ).

The sun began to set around 7pm. It was starting to get a lot windier and I was pining for the clothes I shed at the car. We walked around to keep ourselves warm and moving to spots with the most sun.

Since Yap had the only cellphone which of course received no reception at the Visitor's Center, my anxiety set in and I devised an emergency plan. Lekky and Roger were the only people who knew that we were stuck at the Visitor's Center and we had to realize we could only wait up until a certain point, especially since it was getting colder.

I was heading for the open bathroom to shelter me from the wind when Yap saw their car. We ran over with smiles of relief and we drove to get the other car and head back home. We stopped off at a restaurant for burgers, beer, and soda (which were not refillable).

We got back home at 10:30pm. Took long hot showers and flopped onto the bed with a sigh of relief.

2 comments:

Ka_Ka said...

( `♥.¸*O*
`♥.¸ )**P*
( `♥.¸***T*
`♥.¸ )****I*
( `♥.¸*****M*
`♥.¸ )**O*
( `♥.¸***
`♥.¸ )***F*
( `♥.¸***I*
`♥.¸ )****M*
( `♥.¸******
`♥.¸ )*D*
( `♥.¸**E*
`♥.¸ )*s*
( `♥. **E*
`♥.¸ )***M*
( `♥.¸****A*
`♥.¸ )*****N*
( `♥.¸******A*
`♥.¸ )*P*
( `♥. **R*
`♥.¸ )***A*
`♥.¸ )*v*
( `♥. **O*
`♥.¸ )***C*
`♥ )****E*

Bjosss!!

Andrew Yap said...

me + camping = no more