Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Darjeeling Limited


I saw this with Yap and Arlene. Ok, so if you want the plot summary of this movie, IMDB pretty much summarized it better than I would be able to. I always usually go off tangents of the movie and forget where I left off.

"Three American brothers who have not spoken to each other in a year set off on a train voyage across India with a plan to find themselves and bond with each other -- to become brothers again like they used to be. Their "spiritual quest", however, veers rapidly off-course (due to events involving over-the-counter pain killers, Indian cough syrup, and pepper spray), and they eventually find themselves stranded alone in the middle of the desert with eleven suitcases, a printer, and a laminating machine. At this moment, a new, unplanned journey suddenly begins."

So, I would like to begin with saying that I enjoyed this movie. The use of colors was really nice.
Character development, check. All I am saying is, it's a very idealistic way to look at a spiritual journey in another country. I feel like people tend to go to other countries to find the thing they lack spiritually. Like by going to another country this 'AHA!' moment will occur and forever be changed in perspective and life. That just doesn't happen. Rarely does this occur. Or maybe I am just cynical?

3 comments:

Andrew Yap said...

I have not been to very many places, so I will only take your comment as a suggestion. But I think you're right, there's no AHA moment. Wait...AHA! I love this blog!

Jennifer said...

I haven't seen the film, but of course what immediately comes to mind is that "spiritual enlightenment" seems to happen to white people when they encounter Asian people -- which means it's more likely to occur in places like India, China, Japan.

On the other hand, I have to admit that when I went to the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, I did feel an overwhelming sense of spirituality--I can't quite describe the experience other than to say, I felt it was a "holy" experience--that this was such a sacred space and that feeling lasted with me throughout the afternoon.

But I don't think I'd go so far as to say I felt "enlightened" afterwards. It just made me think that, perhaps, there are sacred spaces and therefore that there can be times and places where we encounter something so different from our ordinary lives that it does help us to feel "holy."

Viv said...

I really enjoyed this movie too. Yay for Wes!